Why you should start your morning with hot lemon water

I am sure you’ve heard a lot of people saying that lemon water is amazing for a lot of things but have you actually tried it every morning? I didn’t. At least not every single morning. When I was going to uni at 8 am in the morning the last thing that I wanted to do was to drink hot lemon water, wait a bit then have breakfast so I found this habit a hard one to stick but since I am on summer break I actually started sticking to this morning “ritual”.

Lemons, we all know it from its sour taste, source of Vitamin C and possession of immense health benefits ranging from its antiviral properties to its immune boosting abilities. Besides all this, and the fact that it actually hydrates you, drinking lemon water in the morning has a lot of others benefits.
So here is why you should start your morning with warm or hot lemon water:

1. It helps your digestion: some people drink lemon water as a daily morning laxative to help prevent constipation because drinking warm / hot lemon water when you wake up gets your digestive system moving;
  2. Boost your immune system: due to the fact that are high in Vitamin C;
  3. Helps your skin: thing that I’ve noticed – I break out way less when I stick to drinking it;
  4. Helps reduce joint and muscle pain;
  5. Helps fight common cold;
  6. Helps in maintaining the pH balance of the body because lemons are one of the most alkalizing foods for the body;
  7. Helps with weight lose: I am honest, I did not see any particular results but a friend of mine dropped 3 kg without any special diet just from drinking hot lemon water for one month;

source: unsplash.com

How to prepare it :

• squeeze 1/2 a lemon in a glass;
  • add some warm / hot water (I prefer it rather warm that hot as I find it hard to drink hot water);
  • optional: one tablespoon of honey if you find it too sour to drink it;

When should you drink it :

• in the morning, just after you wake up then wait about 15 minutes before having breakfast;
  • I prefer to drink it first thing in the morning then go wash my face and start preparing breakfast. The time will pass faster this way;

When you should not drink hot lemon water:
I would suggest you stop or just reduce the days when you drink warm/hot lemon water if:

• you have sensitive teeth: because lemons are highly acidic, the acid can erode the protective enamel on your teeth. Over time this could lend to teeth discolorations, transparent edges or even tooth sensitivity;
  • you suffer from heart burns: drinking too much lemon with water may trigger heartburn or make this condition worse if you’re used to have it;

Do you drink warm/hot lemon water in the morning? Have you experience any benefits from drinking it? Let me know in the comments down below 🙂

Please make sure to like it & show this article some love by sharing it with your friends !
Share:

1. August 19, 2018 / 10:49 PM

I’m glad I found this post! It’s sometbing I’ve been looking into, and now I think I’ll give it a go. Thank you!

• August 19, 2018 / 10:50 PM

I am so happy you liked it☺️

2. August 17, 2018 / 5:14 AM

I actually drink lemon water all the time ( not hot) but I have noticed a difference . I had got tired of drinking it everyday , but when I stopped I felt like I had put weight and I felt sluggish . I felt like lemon water helped me lose Inches around my waist and kept me filled with energy . I’m gonna try it hot and see if my body reacts different.

3. August 15, 2018 / 12:31 AM

I would definitely try this, especially to help me a little in the bathroom lol…..thanks for the information.

• August 15, 2018 / 3:28 AM

It really helps with that especially if it’s the first thing you do in the morning ☺️

4. August 10, 2018 / 4:52 PM

Maybe this is the kick I need to stop downing gallons of coffee in the morning and drink something healthy…
    -pixieskiesblog.wordpress.com xo

• August 10, 2018 / 4:54 PM

Well let me know if this works for you as after my lemon water & breakfast the first thing I do is reach for my coffee 😅

5. August 8, 2018 / 3:48 PM

I go through spurts with the hot water concoctions… thanks for the reminder

6. joannamc97
    August 8, 2018 / 1:18 PM

Love the photos in this! I’ve also heard that doing this is is very beneficial to you but wasn’t sure why… thanks for sharing! I will hopefully be attempting this too!

• August 8, 2018 / 1:19 PM

I’m happy you liked it 🙂

7. August 7, 2018 / 6:33 PM

In the 6th point you’ve mentioned that lemon juice is alkaline in nature and then you’ve also quoted “you have sensitive teeth: because lemons are highly acidic”. I’m just wondering which one is correct because from what I know lemons contain a high amount of citric acid, hence have an acidic pH.
    Lemon juice has a pH falling between 2 and 3, which makes it 10,000–100,000 times more acidic than water.

• August 7, 2018 / 6:53 PM

You are right, lemons do have an acidic pH and that in higher amounts can mess up with your teeth but in the moment you drink it, it starts to alkalize your urine and that’s why it said to be one of the alkalizing foods for your body.

8. August 7, 2018 / 3:00 PM

Reblogged this on Passion4diy and commented:
    I never knew about this. It’s very interesting.

• August 7, 2018 / 1:18 PM

Thank you! I’ve been doing this more frequently too 🙂

9. August 7, 2018 / 11:09 AM

Always knew it had lots of benefits, but was never comitted enough to stick to it. You’ve actually inspired me to start again tomorrow morning 😀

• August 7, 2018 / 11:59 AM

I’m glad I could help!☺️

10. August 7, 2018 / 10:39 AM

I am seriously considering it. We have a lemon tree, so I don’t have much in the way of plausible excuses right now. Also, I want to start running for exercise and this might help toward my healthy skin glow that I am working for. Thank you so much for sharing this one. ♥ the blog!

• August 7, 2018 / 10:40 AM

I wanted to start running to but there where too many excuses in the way 🤣 thank you!💙

• August 7, 2018 / 11:22 AM

I’ve been asked to join in on a mud run in two months, so this is motivating me for now. Don’t wanna go ten steps then blow fire like a dragon… ♥

• August 7, 2018 / 11:59 AM

Hahah good luck then! 🍀

• August 7, 2018 / 12:26 PM

Thank you, same to you for your goals…