I don’t even know how many times my mom asked me to cook this soup for her (sorry mom) and when I finally made it I realized that I should have definitely listen to her and cook it sooner!
I have to be honest, this is the first ever soup that I’ve made that it wasn’t a cream soup and I was really impressed with the results myself. It’s easy to make, and you basically don’t have to do a lot of thing to achieve this delicious soup!
Lentils have a lot of proteins so combined with one or two slices of bread you will have a nice, healthy and balanced meal on your table.
RED LENTIL SOUP
- 250g of lentils (I used some red one);
- 1 medium onion;
- 2 carrtos;
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes with sauce;
- 2 bay leaves;
- 2 garlic cloves;
- 2 celery sticks (I dind’t had any so I skipped it);
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil;
- 1 + 1/2 vegetable or chicken stock or if you don’t have it, just use the water and 1 cube of vegetable bouillon;
- half a teaspoon of cumin;
- Wash the lentils using a strainer then let them sit in water for 15 minutes to get them soft;
- In a large pot, put the olive oil along with the chopped onion and let it cook until it get’s a nice light brown color;
- Add the chopped carrots and the smashed and chopped garlic cloves and let it cook for about 3-5 minutes;
- Add the bay leaves and the cumin and let it cooked for one more minute;
- Add the canned tomatoes with their sauce, the lentils and the water/stock, stir a couple of times then put a lid on;
- After about 5 minutes get the bay leaves out or you will get a slightly taste of bay;
- Let it cook for about 45 minutes on medium-low heat;
- Stir from time to time and add more water in case its level gets to low and the soup is to thick;
- When the soup is ready, add the salt and let it cook for one more minute;
- DON’T ADD THE SALT AT THE BEGINNING OF THE PROCES BECAUSE THE LENTILS WILL GET FIRM!
- Serve it with a couple of toasted bread slices and some olive oil sprinkled on top.
Let me know if you try it and if you have anything that you would want be to cook and share the recipe with you!